Resident Fellows Program
(UPDATED, November 2, 2022)
Applications for the Spring 2023 Resident Fellows Program have closed.
Applications are being accepted for the Summer 2023 term and beyond according to the schedule listed below.
The Resident Fellows Program at IAU is designed for visiting professors on sabbatical leave from their home institutions. Fellows can integrate into IAU's existing academic infrastructures in France and Spain which include faculty, facilities, library, and archives. Many of the past Fellows worked on books or research projects, as well as collaborated with different IAU professors and students on various projects and learning activities. Fellows do not teach at IAU. However, in exchange for the fellowship, they are asked to provide one or two guest lectures to IAU students in their area of expertise. Faculty interested in teaching should consider IAU's customized/faculty-led opportunities. The Resident Fellows Program is available at IAU's Aix-en-Provence, France
IAU welcomes applications from faculty at participating U.S. partner institutions. Partner institutions include colleges and universities with signed memoranda of understanding with IAU. IAU will occasionally accept nominations from distinguished faculty from the EU, the Middle East, and North Africa. Ultimately the deliberations and
See List of Previous Resident Fellows and Fellow Testimonials
While at IAU, the Resident Fellow can expect to:
- Interact and consult with IAU’s experienced faculty
- Participate in select IAU courses and programs at the discretion of those faculty teaching the courses
- Promote the intellectual and cultural exchange at IAU through a series of public lectures in their field of expertise
- Conduct smaller seminars and discussions with IAU students and faculty
- Develop their own research during the Fellowship period
- Participate in various excursions to neighboring regions with students. Some examples for those on the Aix-en-Provence campus include day trips to Arles, Avignon, Bonnieux, La Ciotat, Nice, and Marseille.
Interested U.S. Faculty must complete the IAU Resident Fellows Application and adhere to the deadlines listed below.
- Fall semester and/or academic year: March 1 of the same year
- Spring semester: August 1 of the prior year
- Summer term: January 15 of the same year