Interested in pursuing an American degree in France? Learn about options through IAU's degree-granting institution - The American College of the Mediterranean.

Bachelor's and Master's Programs

Passports & Visas - Spain

1. Spain Visa Guide
2. Passports
3. Resources

Student Visa Application

Applying for a Long-Stay Visa Student Visa

Semester and academic-year students will need a Student Visa to study in Spain. IAU will provide the necessary documentation needed to prove you will be a student abroad, but the remaining application and materials are the responsibility of the student.

All visa processes go through the Spanish Consulates. 
Individual Spanish consulates operate autonomously regarding visa applications and requirements may vary from consulate to consulate or change without notice. Therefore, students are advised to verify the number of accompanying documents currently required by the consulate in question at the time they request an application form, and to be sure to carefully complete the form with precise dates of arrival in and departure from Spain.

Please open the link below for IAU's comprehensive guide to acquiring a Spanish visa as a U.S. passport holder.

IAU Spain Visa Guide

It can take 6-8 weeks after an application is submitted to a consulate for U.S. students to receive their visas. For international students, it could take up to three months so please read all of the information on the consulate website very carefully. **This means that students must schedule their consulate appointments or submit their materials no less than 8 weeks (more than 8 weeks for international students) before their departure date. Otherwise, students risk not being able to leave on time for the program.

A student visa is required in order to participate in IAU's semester programs. In exceptional circumstances, for students who, due to difficulties, are unable to obtain a student visa, there is a delayed remote start option available. Contact the U.S. Office for more information.

Non-US Citizens

For citizens of any country outside of the U.S., visit your country's Spanish consulate website to determine the visa requirements. The visa process for non-US citizens may take much longer than that of US citizens, so please begin the application process as soon as possible or you risk not receiving your visa on time. If you need a visa, please contact the U.S. Office immediately for assistance.

In addition, before arrival in Spain, non-US citizens must check visa requirements of any other countries (outside of the Schengen Zone) to be visited and obtain visas necessary for travel.


All students studying in Spain need a passport that is valid for at least 6 months after their date of departure. Passports should be applied for five months in advance of departure date through a US Passport Agency (Boston, Chicago, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington, DC); through a Postal Clerk designated by the Postmaster General; Clerk of any Federal Court; or Judge or Clerk of any Probate Court. It is absolutely necessary to have a passport before applying for a visa.

Please note that for all IAU programs your passport must adhere to the following guidelines: it must be in good condition, with a date of expiration at least 6 months after the end of your stay in the Schengen area (Europe), and issued within the past 10 years and containing at least 2 blank pages.

Needed for a passport application:

  • proof of identity
  • proof of US citizenship (birth certificate, naturalization certificate, consular report or certification of birth, or previous passport)
  • completed application forms
  • photographs (two duplicate color passport-size)
  • fee

There is also an expedited passport option for an additional fee. Visit the U.S. Department of State website for additional details.

On receipt of the passport, check that all information is correct. If not, return it for correction to the office of application; under no circumstances should you correct it yourself. Keep a photocopy of the information on the first two pages of your passport; in case of loss, this information will be very helpful in getting a replacement.


Here are some materials you may find helpful throughout the visa application process:

Beware of fraudulent sites: Visa applicants are advised to be cautious in all dealings with companies that claim to offer assistance in obtaining visas.